Friday, April 16, 2010

Lion's Heart

Every day I consider
what you declared that night
when you found your courage
The blankets were ruffled
You sat upright
at my knee
While I lay down carelessly,
preparing to forget
the day's trials,
the night's tomfoolery
Embarrassed
Your feelings had not changed,
you said
And I said I knew
Oh, why must you love me?
Don't you know?
The same flaws that attract,
would also consume you
Just the same
as the forbidden nectar
traps the fly
And you,
you're most worthy
I know it
But something is lacking
in my heart
and I say I've nothing to offer
and I don't measure up
Bitter, uninspired
You've a lion's heart,
I could never fill it
Even though,
sometimes,
I look in your eyes
and can't help but smile
You do too
Even so,
I can't let it be
And no,
I can't explain,
because I don't understand

No comments:

Post a Comment