Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Examples Not to Follow

Sometimes I hear your voice
and always it's guiding
Emphasizing alternatives
Warning not to fall
into the groove they carved
I hear it too
Really, I promise, I do
We're always so worried
we'll end up like them
and I think we both know
some aspects are inevitable
But truly we're different
At least, I'd like to believe it
We've seen more
than they cared to look for
I just tell myself
that they're examples
not to follow
and that hasn't led me astray
I'm still intent on making it
in ways they never did
So don't worry
I won't let you down
I just can't

2 comments:

  1. 'we've seen more than they cared to look for'

    so essential. as always your diction impresses moi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Allison!
    Also, I miss you. I need to come to Oakland.

    ReplyDelete