Thursday, May 6, 2010

Transitions

'People grow and change,
and not always together,'
she remarked quietly
as if recalling
something consequential
I remember that moment
Made the associations
to myself, in my life
Haven't forgotten it
I've always embraced
the transitions
Never made sense
to wear myself out
trying to stay
because that changes you
just as much
That's tough on us
as a species,
as individuals
and on relationships
Especially when
we are so young
It's difficult to bear
watching one you love
become something else
and it happens so often
I suppose it's been so
twice for me, and I
wouldn't return
I change as always
because I'm insatiable
I see a void in me
and aim to fill it
My curse is to embrace,
to improve, to adapt
and I don't think
I'll ever quit

6 comments:

  1. this resonates! ain't it sad? but really the right thing. looking back on my menagerie of past lovahs, i wouldn't ask for any of them for christmas this year. definitely. not.


    ps its not a curse tis known colloquially as "the human condition"

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, for decent people that is. some people never change. some people drink coors light for-e-ver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    Yeah, I guess I just see myself as more excited and enthusiastic about change than most people. It's hard on my relationships with lovers, but also friends.
    And that's depressing. It's bad enough to drink Coors Light at all. Drink the good stuff if you're going to drink! Hah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the picture really makes it.

    people change. but people can change together too. depends on the people. depends on the trajectory. i sneer at beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way. Well, sometimes though, it seems I'm the same way, when actually I'm just in denial about the pain I should deal with. I'm really good at ignoring what I don't want to deal with. It is hopelessness as well as strength though, this thing you speak of. Ditching lost causes to jump the next fast train.

    ReplyDelete