Monday, April 18, 2011

Montezuma's Castle

I remember the wind in my hair
Barreling down the blacktop,
windows down and sunroof back
When I whispered in your ear,
a coachwhip coiled in my pocket
And the smell of dampened leaves
decaying in the Chiricahuas
The mist upon my cheeks
as I wandered alone there,
among those ancient bones

You said we'd make it
to Montezuma's castle,
but we never did


I couldn't forget that trip
Some times I certainly tried
After you left us for Texas,
it was betrayal on the tongue
In hindsight, you were only
seeking your own preservation
And who could blame you?
My own instinct was obscured
beneath layers of scar tissue
and lies from her mouth,
concocted in that feeble mind
Or I'd have done the same

It just took more
for me to come around
If I sat across from you now
I'd apologize for time lost
But I'm not there now,
and Papa says you've aged,
with new ailments to tend

I shouldn't worry, though
My gut says I'll see you again,
perhaps where we never were
Maybe we'll make it this time

5 comments:

  1. amazing! have you listened to 'montezuma' off of the new fleet foxes album? its great

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!
    And yes, that album is wonderful.

    You and Brian should come visit me one of these days. I will feed you and give you ice cream! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't argue with that, we're there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he'll probably make you bomb espresso too...

    I really love this one. well done. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes! How could I forget my famous espresso? That is also in the mix. Just let me know when you can and I'll make it so! I'm free Sundays and Mondays.

    And thanks, Rachey! I'm writing little lately. Need to make more time for it.

    ReplyDelete